Year 2020 Home Tuition Market Rate
|Part-Time Tutor||Full-Time Tutor||NIE-Trained/School Teacher|
|N1 - K2||$20-$25/hr||$30-$40/hr||$50-$60/hr|
|P1 - P3||$25-$30/hr||$35-$50/hr||$55-$60/hr|
|P4 - P6||$25-$40/hr||$35-$55/hr||$60-$80/hr|
|Sec 1 - Sec 2||$30-$40/hr||$35-$60/hr||$65-$90/hr|
|Sec 3 - Sec 5||$35-$45/hr||$40-$65/hr||$70-$90/hr|
|JC1 - JC2||$50-$60/hr||$55-$80/hr||$80-$120/hr|
|IB Grade 1-6||$30-$45/hr||$35-$60/hr||$70-$120/hr|
|IB Grade 7-10||$35-$50/hr||$40-$70/hr||$75-$120/hr|
|IB Grade 11-12 (Diploma)||$60-$70/hr||$65-$100/hr||$85-$120/hr|
|Diploma / University||$60-$80/hr||$80-$120/hr||-|
Any Question About Home Tuition Rates In Singapore?
The part-time tutors employed are often the studying youth, meaning those who are still completing their undergraduate studies to attain a diploma or degree. Furthermore, students who have also acquired their diploma or degree opt to teach on a part-time basis. Hence, here are some of the most promising qualities of part-time tutors.
Young & Supporting
- The part-time tutors who are usually employed are found within the ages of 19 – 25 years old, still young, and studying for their diploma or degree. This young age benefits them with children, thus, creating a meaningful and understanding relationship with their students becomes easier due to this very purpose. On this note, students also seem more comfortable with young home tutors, sharing both academic and personal troubles with ease.
- The employed home tutor is carefully chosen as per their expertise and knowledge. Grades play a viable role in both their selection and their further teaching. Most times, tutors are chosen as per their previously achieved grades, after which they are assigned a subject for which they scored the highest. This ensures they are both confident in their teaching as well as their knowledge in the prescribed course. Furthermore, they are also seemingly more educated of the best tricks and methods to use in order to achieve good results.
Thoroughly Educated and Familiar with Syllabus
- Another deeming quality of part-time tutors is their familiarity with the syllabus. Since they have recently graduated from the same classes, the tutors are well aware of the ins and outs of the system. Hence, with their first-hand exposure to the same system, these part-time private tutors can teach and convey concepts and information as they had learnt so not long ago.
- The benefit with part-time tutors is their easy access and availability to clear any doubts children may have on the spot. Furthermore, with their flexible schedules, these private tutors can offer more hours to weaker students or even shift their schedule according to a child’s suitability. As a result, students acquire the best help especially during the last few months before exams when they require the most assistance in their revision.
- Unlike other categories of home tutors, part-time tutors are very affordable in terms of their payment. As they do not require the qualifications and expertise that other tutors provide, part-time tutors are considered the most budget-friendly out of the three to most families.
We at FamilyTutor employ only the best part-time tutors all of Singapore has to offer. Furthermore, we aim to recommend the tutors most suited to your needs, both financially and academically. Listed below is the selection criteria that our organization adapts when looking for eligible part-time tutors.
- Good Grades in Requested Subjects:
We ensure that our selected and recommended tutors are well educated and knowledgeable in the subject they are chosen for. Hence, only candidates whose grades were at minimum a “B” are chosen and selected for further reference.
- Minimum Teaching Experience of at least 1-year:
We at FamilyTutor believe that good grades do not always ensure great teaching. As a result, we look for experienced tutors, candidates with past and first-hand experience teaching students of similar ages. Hence, along with good grades in a particular subject, a critical requirement for selected candidates is at least 1-year experience of tutoring.
- Responsible & Good Commitment Level:
We at FamilyTutor aim to provide consistent help to students through their hired tutors. An important go-to for this purpose is that the hired tutor is responsible and committed to the student, along with being consistently available for any means necessary. Therefore, we select tutors who are readily committed to the project and are willing to invest at least 3 months for it.
When concerned with full-time tutors, diploma and degree holders are preferred over students still studying. The selected candidates are often graduated and educated; thus, they willingly decide to commit full-time to the tutoring service. Some of the outstanding qualities of these tutors are listed below.
- Full-time tutors are highly experienced in the tutoring industry, each one often having a 5-year or more experience span. However, this experience comes from immense dedication to the role, therefore many of those home tutors started off with part-time tutoring during their undergraduate studies and thus decided to pursue the service once they attained their degree. This doubled their experience within the field and provided them a professional and stable career.
Familiar with MOE Syllabus
- Since full-time private tutors are completely dedicated to the role, they are able to teach 10-20 students at any particular time. These variety of students come from different areas and schools, therefore providing the tutors with immense knowledge over the syllabus being taught.
- Since full-time private tutors in Singapore teach a variety of students from different areas, they come to acquire a large and useful resource bank. This is further transferred to newer students. These resource banks are probably the most helpful to students with their large collection of notes, mind maps, important information as well as tips and tricks to ace the paper they are studying for. Furthermore, with the added experience, tutors have past papers and practice questions which they pass down to currently studying students.
Great Commitment Levels
- Amongst the three categories, full-time home tutors are those who are heavily committed to tutoring; therefore they aim to dedicate most of their day for tutoring students. Since this is their full-time career, investing in long hours and tutoring according to the students are some of the benefits they humbly provide.
Fair & Reasonable Rates
- For most Singaporean families, full-time private tutors can be acquired at a very reasonable rate of $35-$80/hour. This ensures that the family does not undergo any financial step back as well as providing a very experienced and qualified help for their children’s education.
We at FamilyTutor aim to recommend and employ the most experienced full-time tutors especially those in your financial reach. Therefore, listed below is the strict procedure we follow when selecting and shortlisting worthy candidates and tutors.
- Experience in Required Subjects:
We at FamilyTutor prioritize a private tutor’s experience over any other selection criteria and hence, recommend and select those home tutors with experience of teaching for the last few years. With current experience, these private tutors are more aware of the syllabus being studied in their prescribed subject. Furthermore, the home tutors are more equipped to handling the challenging sections and questions as well as teaching the students the right concepts. It should also be noted that tutors with current experience are also more generalized and familiar with the current MOE syllabus.
- Good Performance and Reviews:
Recommending the best private tutors is very important, especially those who will be working for long term projects. Hence, we observe tutors with the best track record, this could include those with the most positive results and very good feedback. Through this observation and emphasis, we recommend and select the best ones to our clients.
- Qualifications & Available Resources:
Qualifications are very important, especially in the subjects the tutor is being assigned. This could simply mean appointing tutors with a math degree as a secondary school math tutor. Therefore, this ensures that the tutor is confident and knowledgeable in their methods and can offer the most help to the student as per their needs.
Ex-/Current School Teachers are NIE (National Institute of Education) Trained Teachers who have previously taught or are currently teaching at MOE Schools. The main characteristics of MOE Teachers are listed below:
MOE Trained Experts with NIE Certification
- MOE teachers have all undergone NIE training to become experienced and knowledgeable teachers. These trained employees are also considered experts on the MOE syllabus. With their first-hand experience in teaching students as well as their high involvement in the MOE syllabus, their tutoring methods are perfect to the mark.
Efficient Tutoring Pedagogy
- MOE Teachers are well equipped and trained in teaching pedagogy by NIE. The given skill set ensures that their teaching pattern and methods are the most effective and efficient. Furthermore, with their past experience of being MOE teachers, these home tutors are quite effective in their techniques to bring out the best of a student as well as provide them the sufficient help they require.
National Exam Markers
- MOE teachers are also, with their other expertise, national exam markers. From grading O & N Level exams, A-Levels as well as IB diploma programs, they have various effective techniques to teach current students. Furthermore, having marked national exams gives them the general layout preferred for each subject, such as answering strategies and tricks which are given to their students in order to achieve the maximum possible grades.
- MOE teachers also have access to all-round exclusive resources, this could include topical past papers, chapter notes, and various exam papers. These resources are very limited and hence not readily available to other categories of home tutors. However, MOE teachers make use of these resources to teach students and ensure they acquire more than just a passing grade.
- Out of all three categories, MOE teachers are considered the most expensive in the tutoring industry. Due to their high-level experience and qualifications adding to their high demand, rates for these tutors are quite high comparative to the others. To acquire the trained and educated services of the MOE tutors, it is very critical that the clients readily pay the premium prices. However, it has been proven time and time again that the services acquired from these teachers are high quality and of great help to the students. Hence, investing in the MOE tutor would guarantee nothing less of a bright future for your children.
Here at FamilyTutor, we select and recommend our clients the best MOE teachers available for their child according to the requested subject and schedule. Listed below is the criteria we use to select and shortlist our employed private tutors.
- MOE & NIE Certified Teachers Only:
To ensure that our agency hires the best, we only employ and recommend NIE-certified MOE teachers. This ensures that the hired staff has undergone various training and is appointed rightfully. Furthermore, any contract teachers or other educators are not administered within this role, proper certification is both required and provided to the clients hiring the tutor.
- Subject & Level Teaching Experience:
We at FamilyTutor believe that particular qualifications are very important, especially in the case of a tutor being qualified in the subject he is prescribed. We ensure that the tutor chosen for your child in terms of the requested subject has been a part of the MOE teachers past experience. An example of this could be a request for a Pure Chemistry private tutor and we would recommend the best Pure Chemistry home tutor who has experience with teaching in secondary school.
- Level of Commitment:
Clients are often concerned with the inconsistent availability of the hired MOE tutor for their child. Due to the busy schedule of MOE teachers, parents worry that they will not be able to provide sufficient help when tutoring their child. Hence, during our recommendation we at FamilyTutor aim to provide a tutor with the best commitment plan to his hiring employer. With assurance of at least 3 months with the same student, FamilyTutor ensures that the MOE teacher will commit long enough for the parents to see consistent improvements in the child’s education.
When we recommend a few really suitable home tutors to you, you might see that for the same subject and level, different home tutors charge different hourly rates.
This happens because usually FamilyTutor does not set those hourly rates. Most of the time, the hourly rates that you see are ones that each individual home tutor charges based on their qualifications, experience, the distance they have to travel to the student’s place, their level of teaching confidence, and many more.
One thing that FamilyTutor can do for you is to ensure that the home tutors’ asking hourly rates are in line with the current market rates. When the time comes, our experienced coordinators may even help you negotiate for hourly rates that both parties are comfortable and happy with!